- Alan – (no show at the moment)
- Jason – Jewish History Matters | Twitter – @jewishhistoryfm | Instagram – @jewishhistoryfm
- Amberly – Fullstack Health | Twitter – @FullstackHealth
- Kyle – The Productivity Lab & Everyday Superhumans | Twitter – @productivelab | Instagram – @productivelab
- Shawn – Rebase | Twitter @RebaseHQ | Instagram @RebaseHQ
- Judy – (no show at the moment) | Twitter @judyoskam | Instagram – @judyoskam
- Michelle – KOOP Radio
- Thom – Traction Growth and Income (forthcoming) & Stagepass | Twitter – @tgitools | Instagram – @acurioushart
- Moby – The Fire Show | Instagram @fireshowpodcast & @notthatmoby
- Erika – Your Truth Revealed (forthcoming) | Instagram @erikamarcoux | YouTube
- Yolanda – Eatin and Sippin Locally | Instagram @eatin_and_sippin_locally
- Willie – (no show at the moment)
- Sarah (no show at the moment)
- Kayla & Collin – Animonday | Instagram @animondaypodcast | Twitter @animondaycast
Great turnout and discussion!
This was such a great time with everyone with plenty of discussions. That is part of the joy of the weekend coffee events as it allows everyone to ask questions for what could be challenging them. Here are a few key topics we chatted about along with some links to share.
Copyright & Fair Use
Willie brought a challenge that he was facing with his podcast idea: Copyright & Fair Use. This age-old battle continues to this day. Willie’s podcast idea centers around music and utilizing short clips to review and comment upon, compare and contrast to other works and more. The concern? How much is too much? And what are the legal ramifications?
Disclaimer: I am no lawyer, thus, proceed with caution 🙂
Fair Use is not a legal defense and thus far, it has only been defined in the courts, each decision varying in what is described as fair use. As such, the only unfortunate way to know if your usage is truly fair use is via the courtroom, which I hope no one ever has to see due to their podcast. Though this discussion can get too in the weeds as there are many works that use music to review and critique in their podcasts such as Dissect Podcast or a local ATX music podcast The Sound and The Story.
Also, keep in mind the music in your podcast if you are uploading it to YouTube due to their Content ID system.
Want to jump into fair use cases and other legal details? Below are two links that should help you in your research:
How To Get Started
Getting started was another big point of discussion. But here are some cliff notes:
- Idea – Your first step into podcasting and if you have an idea of what you are going to podcast about, you are two steps ahead of everyone else without an idea.
- Format – Don’t get too caught up on the format, or even the specifics of your idea. This will change as you run your show. You may find yourself niching your idea down, or drastically changing the format to something that works better for you. Keep it loose. Keep it simple.
- Record – There are tones of info about mics, software, etc. Just record! Recording is the most important aspect as you everything else you’ve been contemplating will be put into light and give you better direction.
- Audience – Go to where your audience (potential listeners) are. Contribute to the community. Don’t link drop!! Add value!
- Growth – Shifting to new platforms like YouTube, or Instagram, will not provide a large conversion rate to your podcast, yet you shouldn’t expect it to. Take advantage of the strength of each platform and use your existing podcast content to populate them. Video podcast is great because your listeners can watch you. Or take small segments or clips, and convert them to small video clips, quotes, or discussion topics. You don’t have to reinvent the wheel.
- Don’t do it for money. Do it for passion. The rest will follow. Or think of it as a book – you’re establishing yourself as an expert or entertainer on your topic and you can leverage that to network, get speeches and soon you’ll be working full time from a beach.
Is That It?
Not at all, but if you want to know more, you have to come to a meetup ;-p
- On Branding Meetup – Aug 7
- Podcast Movement – Orlando Florida – Aug 13-16
- Podcast Movement Recap Meetup – Aug 31
- Resources Page – A collection of podcast resources from the community
- Links Page – A bookmark of our most important links
Until next time!